Despite all the air pollution and tropical heat, I persisted and got some things done this morning.
It was smoky early in the morning, but I waited until about 0830 Standard Time and I was able to get outside and do some work on the overhaul of the planting bed. I use Standard Time, Daylight Time is way too confusing for me. The sun is supposed to be high in the sky at noon, and that's all there is to it.
First I hoed and raked the ground where the planting bed belongs, then I spread landscaping cloth over the area and weighted it down with rocks at the corners. Then I loaded the amended soil I had piled up alongside the driveway into the wheelbarrow and ferried it to the garden. It wasn't easy working in the hot sun, but I got all of it moved eventually. I even mixed a couple more loads of garden soil, compost, and rock powders to add to the bed.
I wet it down a bit, then covered it with black agricultural plastic to keep it moist. Allowing soil to dry out kills off the soil microorganisms, that's the last thing I would want to do. Organic garden soil is a teeming community of organisms, one of the most populous and complex ecosystems on our planet.
It was 31 degrees Celsius as I was finishing my work this morning, that's toasty. But I'm pleased that I was able to continue in spite of the heat. I wish I could have gone out there and done that work hours earlier like I used to do, but in life you have to work with whatever your circumstances give you. Working in the heat slows me down, but I'm not a quitter.
I'll get the planting bed ready eventually, just like I got the others done. This will be the third one I've overhauled this way. If it takes me a bit longer, so what? I'm about halfway done mixing the soil, and that's a job I can do in the shade...nothing really too difficult about it...all I need is patience and persistence...and a little clean air to breathe.
At least I don't have to worry about vitamin D deficiency. I think I got sunburned right through my shirt.
No comments:
Post a Comment