Friday, January 23, 2015

Harvesting Turnips

Harvested the first turnip of the cool season...it was OK mixed with mashed potato...good flavor, and not so strong that I couldn't enjoy it.  I also boiled some of the greens...they were pretty good too.
I still have almost an entire bed of these things out there, and the weather is expected to cool down for a while.  That's very good for harvesting turnips, they taste better in cooler weather.  You can't wait too long to pull your turnips, especially if the weather is warm. I'll probably pull them all soon, at least the ones with big roots, and store them in the bottom drawer in the fridge.  Turnips do keep well, that's for sure.

So I can still produce my own food, even if the soil here is poor. Turnips are very nutritious and they're a traditional part of German cooking, which is part of what I grew up with.  My grandmother was a good cook.

I've been growing turnips for a long time now, and apparently I haven't forgotten how to do it.

No comments: