Monday, September 21, 2015

Correction

I made a mistake in my last post...the eggplant I'm growing is White Beauty, not White Egg.  It's easy to lose track of things like this, varietal names are often very similar.  I think White Egg is a variety of turnip.

Got some kale and broccoli seed today at a local nursery.  I'm growing the same varieties I always grow, they do well for me...Vates kale and DeCiccio broccoli.  My garden soil is alkaline, so the cole crops like kale and broccoli are the best choices.  But they only grow well in the cooler months here. Beans, turnips, potatoes, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes do OK too.

First step is making lots of compost, the more the better.  I get the best results when mixing in compost at about a one to one ratio with the soil.  This seems to reduce the pH to a more reasonable level.  It takes a lot of brush and a lot of shredding to make that much compost.  But organic gardeners are never satisfied no matter how much compost they have.  It's like an addiction with us because the results are just so outstanding when you use a lot of it.  Some compost is good, more is better...but the best is just piles and piles of it.

Most addictions are bad, but making compost and regular exercise...those are good ones to have.

No comments: