Wednesday, September 7, 2016

On My Way

Just a short update...the onion seedlings are starting to emerge, more each day.  Onion seedlings are the easiest of all to transplant, so when they get a little bigger I'll start setting them out in all the containers I rework.  I'm not going to keep planting crops that get sick from RKN, that's wasted effort.  Onions are totally immune to RKN.

You need to be flexible in gardening.  When trouble comes, as it always does, I change direction.  So from now on I'll focus on onions, several different varieties, and scatter them around in lots of containers.  I do a lot of stir fries, where green onions are more or less required.  And onions are very good for fighting off infections, maybe they'll help me in that regard.

My plan for the South Garden is to finish cutting down all the tall grass, composting it, and use all the compost to amend the soil for the planting beds.  It's probably best to move all the bedding soil from the planting beds to a storage area near the garden, hoe out all the roots and torpedo grass rhizomes, rake it smooth, and move the soil back in batches with the wheelbarrow, mixing it with rock powder and compost as I go.  I'll do one bed at a time, and plant with whatever makes sense at the time of year the bed is ready.

Don't know how things will go, I never do.  A lot depends on air pollution levels...this morning it got smoky around 1000 hours EST, but by then I was about done with my outdoor work anyway. So...lots of shoveling and hoe work...sounds like loads of fun.  I complain about things, but I just love gardening.  Is it possible to wear out a hoe or a shovel?  I suppose it's possible, I'll see if it happens.

No comments: