Had some raw mustard greens last night, they grew fast. If we had some cooler weather, they'd be better, but the little I had was very tasty. Mustard greens are very high in so many nutrients, especially when you eat them right after you pick them.
If you don't like the spiciness, keep the leaves in the fridge for a couple of days and they'll become milder. I like the snap of young mustard greens and I also love them in soups. The aroma of freshly chopped mustard greens in the kitchen always makes me smile. After they grow for a while, especially if the weather is hot, they'll be too spicy-hot for raw munching and I'll just use them in soups and stir fries. People in the US associate them with southern cuisine, but of course they're actually Asian as gardeners know.
There seems to be an almost endless variety of Asian mustards. I grow Florida Broad Leaf, simply because it grows like a weed in my soil and climate. And it's not too spicy for me. I have a pill vial crammed with thousands of mustard seeds in the fridge and I just use those in planting. If you let it go to seed, it will produce a great abundance of small black seeds that last for years and years in the fridge. They can be ground up for mustard seasoning if you want to do that. The flowers are also edible, but watch out...they're extremely pungent.
No comments:
Post a Comment