Monday, January 2, 2017

Container Methods

Just a quick post to outline my container setup methods...

Clean the container well with a hard stream of water from a garden hose.  You don't want plant diseases to spread.

Put some wood chips or broken twigs in the bottom to facilitate drainage.

Lay some landscaping cloth on top of that.

Add potting soil, plant seedlings, mulch.

Potting soil mix...garden soil plus compost, ratio about three to two. Add about of quarter handful of rock powder, mix very thoroughly with a shovel or hoe.  I'm currently using glacial rock dust for rock powder.  I let my potting soil age in barrels for a month after I mix it to discourage plant parasites like nematodes.

Tools needed:  wheelbarrow, shovel, trash barrels...sturdy ones, nursery pots 34 or 57 cm.  I use a big cart to transport the 57's.

The 34 cm pots are set on concrete blocks and poles cut from a stand of Melaleuca saplings.  The 57's just sit on a pair of block that are well set and leveled.


1 comment:

Nighthawk said...

Not sure why everything has gone all blue-green like this.