Wednesday, April 12, 2017

New Drought Update

The governor has declared a state of emergency, there are hundreds of wildfires burning now.  They've burned over 70,000 acres so far this year, most of that since February.

I've put off planting the South Garden.  The containers use much less water, and I'm very busy now clearing the brush near the house.  It's not easy work, and I don't have a lot of energy for gardening lately.  The weather has been exceptionally hot, as it has been for the previous five years or so.  My chard and kale aren't good quality as a result, but they're edible and full of nutrients to keep me going.

I'm preparing for the rainy season, got the hot-season plants starting and so forth.  I'm hoping to plant a lot of Vigna unguiculata, a species known as the Blackeyed Pea and Long Bean...among many other names.  And of course my favorite veggie, Abelmoschus esculentus aka okra or gumbo or ngombo, etc.  For greens I use Corchorus olitorius and Basella alba.  In catalogues they're listed as Molokhia and Malabar spinach. Ipomoea batatus continue to thrive, they grow all year round now, since we stopped getting frost and turned full tropical.

No comments: