Haven't been gardening much lately due to a very bad smoke problem. I've had to accept the fact that I can't cope with heavy air pollution, so I stay indoors in filtered air whenever I get respiratory irritation from being outside. I have problems with both smoke and caustic chemical fumes in the urban area where I live.
But this morning was OK, so I watered the garden well, pulled out the dead kale plants, and mulched the kale that's still green with more wood chips. My Basella aka Malabar spinach is growing rapidly now, it loves these tropical days and nights we've been having. The plants have almost grown enough that they can take the place of the kale, which doesn't agree with me when it grows in the heat. Instead of kale, lettuce, mustard, and other such cool-season greens, in the coming months I'll be cooking with Basella, bayam aka vegetable amaranth, purslane, and molokhia aka Egyptian spinach. I'm looking forward to that, the cole crops like kale and turnip tend to give me indigestion at times.
It felt good to be back outside working with plants and mulch, I wish I could do that every morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment