Had a good morning of gardening today. The air wasn't too smoky, so I got to work mixing soil for the planting bed I'm amending. I got six batches done, and the bed is rising up now.
The pole beans were disappointing. I planted them March first, that's too late in this new climatic regime of warmer temps. I should have planted something in the genus Vigna instead, like blackeyed peas or long beans. When the daytime temps are above 32 Celsius, the common beans in the genus Phaseolus don't set pods reliably. I got some bean pods when it was cooler, but now the vines only have a scattering of pods. I'll probably pull them out and plant something else. I've had much better results planting pole beans in January.
Mixing soil is tedious, it's boring, but it works. I like things that actually work. I knew someone who took a much more laid-back approach to gardening. He would buy a packet of flower seeds and just scatter them among the weeds. He said..."What comes up, comes up." I'll say this, there were a few flowers among the weeds, but that approach to gardening doesn't suit me personally. I call it the "drinking man's method" of gardening.
To each his own, I suppose. I'll stick to my labor-intensive methods.
No comments:
Post a Comment